We have danced around wanting to start "trying" for several years. One of us wanted to, the other one was too scared.
Lately, Kdubs would say off-handedly: you know, we could try sometime soon. But I did not want to cause more stress with finishing law school, trying to find a job and passing the bar. He already was having trouble sleeping.
This was my #1 fear and concern when I saw that second pink line.
I couldn't just say, "So, hon, I'm pregnant" when I mentioned that I wanted spaghetti for dinner.
But I am not super cutesy....but I wanted it to be memorable...what to DO!
So I had one idea: we are big fans of trivial pursuit, so I was going to make a card to slip into his stack of cards when I conveniently challenged him for the game.


But then I realized we shipped our board games off to Atlanta.
Then, I also remembered how KW always said he wanted enough kids for his own basketball team. So, I made him a rookie card for our first "teammate" using KW's very loved Grant Hill Rookie Card (long story of back breaking labor went into purchasing this card at age 12 for him).
So, I come home try to find sportscenter, pti, or something with basketball...nothing!!!
Finally I notice a local station doing something on the brackets (which KW could care less about), and I said, "hey, how many kids does it take to make a basketball team?"
He looked at me like I was crazy...I obviously know that! and answered "FIVE"
Well, are ready to start your own team, I said, and handed him this card:


He looks at it and says, "what? I don't get it"
I said very patiently, "okay"
he keeps looking at it and says again, "I don't get it"
I said again serenely, "okay"
this went several more times until I started feeling some tears come to my eyes and I just took the card and put it into my purse...
he then looks at me and says, "are you pregnant?"
I said, "yes, I'm sorry...I didn't want to make this stress you out more!" bawling at this point.
To say he was shocked and not UBER happy would be fair, but it took me 5 hours to be okay with it...he took about 15 min. But having a pregnant, crying wife will probably speed things up.
He is much happier about things now and actually has been sleeping better. Go figure.
aww thats adorable!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to tell flyboy in a cute way but I only had a minute to talk to him over the phone while he was doing a workup in the desert. Hindsight, dont spring something like that on your husband when he is going to go fly defensive tactics in a war game prior to deploying for a real war.
Bad timing. Real bad timing. But he was excited none the less. Eventually. : )
Ha! Figures he's sleeping better :)
ReplyDeleteOh, telling the hubby is always hilarious.
With Joshua, I managed to find a random Father's Day card on sale somewhere and penciled in the due date. He was actually pretty surprised because he'd been out of town for a wedding and completly missed the fact that I'd missed my period. I think he just assumed I had it while he was gone, ha ha ha.
With Jaden, I took a pregnancy test a day before I was due to start because I just had this feeling I was preggers. We spent 3 days arguing over whether or not there was *really* a pink line in the money slot before I finally dragged myself to the Doctor for confirmation that I was, indeed, right. Ha!
And, Brent was away in FL at seminary taking an intensive class when I got the tell-tale pink lines this time around. I didn't want to wait 12 days to tell him in person (and I couldn't imagine telling anyone else), so I had to call him up and just dump it on him. It was hilarious. He was like, "Umm, did you have to tell me this during a week I'm not supposed to drink?" The truth was, he was more exicted and okay with it than I was. He's always better about surprises than I am anyways.
And, no, we will NOT be having a ball team . . . although I figure we're so outnumbered at this point anyways, that I probably wouldn't notice another 2 kiddos.
your ideas were AWESOME! so funny that he's sleeping better NOW right? :D
ReplyDeleteIt seems like the husband's are always so clueless when you don't just come out and SAY it, i know mine was BOTH times lol
my hubs was the same way - i had gone to all this 'clever-crafty' trouble and he totally didn't get it! boys are silly :)
ReplyDeletebut for the record i think the way you told him was perfect!!
So sweet! I ran out of the bathroom naked and shook the pee stick in JAck's face and said, "Are you ready to be a daddy" as I was balling tears of joy!
ReplyDeleteWe'd been trying for a while!